Sony have released a new software update for the PS3. Version 2.53’s headline features are support for full-screen Flash video content, increased flexibility in controller power save settings, and “playback quality of some PLAYSTATION3 format software has been improved”. The Playstation Network account creation screens have also been reworked.
Other changes include “chroma upsampling” being added to DB and DVD playback – which apparently enhances picture quality “based on the movement of objects within the video” – and the introduction of scene search. Network printers are also supported.
- You now have an option to set the PS3 system to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system under [Users] > [Turn Off System] while content is being downloaded or installed.
- [BD/DVD Settings] has been renamed to [Video Settings].
- [Under [Video Settings], the [Cinema Conversion] option has been renamed to [BD/DVD Cinema Conversion] and the [Upscale] option has been renamed to [BD/DVD Upscaler].
- [ [Sequential Playback] has been added as an option under [Video Settings].
- [ [DivX VOD Registration Code] has been added under [System Settings]. You must use this registration code to authenticate and register the PS3 system to be able to play video files that are compatible with the DivX VOD (Video On Demand) service on your system. For details, visit the DivX website.
- [ [Power Save Settings] has been added as an option under [Settings]. To save power, the PS3 system and wireless controllers can be set to turn off automatically after a certain period of inactivity.
- [Under [Accessory Settings] > [Audio Device Settings], the method for reconnecting Bluetooth devices has been changed.
- [Under [Accessory Settings] > [Keyboard Type], you can now choose the following keyboard types: [German Keyboard (Switzerland)], [French Keyboard (Canada)] and [French Keyboard (Switzerland)].
- [Under [Printer Settings] > [Printer Selection], you can now select printers that support network connectivity. You can also select HP printers using the [HP] option.
- [You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel (or the mini-size control panel).
- [Pause] has been added as an icon on the mini-size control panel.
- [You can now select one of nine volume output levels using the [Volume Control] setting on the control panel.
- [ [Scene Search] has been added as an option on the control panel.
- [You can now use the [Mosquito Noise Reduction] setting for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. Use this setting to reduce mosquito noise that appears on the edges of visual images.
- [During BD (BDAV) and DVD playback, a technique known as “chroma upsampling” is now automatically selected based on the movement of objects within the video content and then applied to enhance images in the content.
- [New for 2.52: The playback quality of some PLAYSTATION3 format software has been improved.
- [New for 2.52: A text entry issue that occurs when using the on-screen keyboard, USB keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard with some PLAYSTATION3 format software has been addressed.
- [ [Sync with Server] has been added as an option under [Trophy Collection].
- [By pressing the PS button while playing PLAYSTATION3 format software, you can now view information from the [Settings and Connection Status List] option under [Network Settings].*
* This feature is not available for use with some PLAYSTATION3 format software.
- [New for 2.53: The Internet browser now supports full-screen mode for Adobe Flash Player content.*
- [Support for Adobe Flash Player 9 has been added to [Internet Browser].*
- [The way to disable the automatic sign-in option and the way to sign out from PlayStationNetwork have been changed.
- [In PlayStationStore, the design of the [View Downloads] and [View Cart] buttons has been changed, and a [Redeem Codes] button has been added.
- [You can now view information about the most recent sign-in for Friends who are on your Friends list.*
* If you do not set the correct date and time in the [Date and Time] settings under [Settings] > [Date and Time Settings], this information may not be displayed.