Tegra 2 isn’t new, but NVIDIA is hoping that 2011 will be the year that the dual-core mobile processor comes into its own. Last we heard of “superphones” it was Google trying to brand their Nexus One as such; now NVIDIA is seizing on the title to describe devices packing multi-core CPUs, speedy GPUs and frugal power requirements, the first device being LG’s Optimus 2X. To help users pair up superphones with apps worthy of Tegra 2, NVIDIA is also launching its own software tool.
The NVIDIA Tegra Zone app isn’t another download store; instead it works alongside the official Android Market, flagging up Tegra-optimized games for their superphone or tablet. NVIDIA is promising professional game reviews, high-res screenshots, HD video trailers, gameplay videos and behind-the-scenes featurettes, while purchases and downloads will be handled by Google’s app store.
Launch titles will include Dungeon Defender – which also happens to be the first game available for Android built on Unreal Engine 3 – Monster Madness, Fruit Ninja, Backbreaker THD, and Galaxy on Fire. However, in the future there’ll be games that can be played between Tegra 2 devices and desktop PCs, NVIDIA tells us.
NVIDIA Tegra Super Chip Kicks Up Next Wave of Super Phones
World’s First Mobile Processor with Dual-Core CPU Enables Super Phones from LG and Others, Creating New Mobile Experiences and Never-Before-Seen Content
Las Vegas — CES 2011 — Jan. 5, 2011—NVIDIA announced today the arrival of the next wave of super phones, powered by NVIDIA® TegraTM 2, the world’s first mobile super chip.
These new super phones go beyond today’s smartphones, delivering unprecedented multimedia experiences that take fuller advantage of faster network download speeds and higher bandwidth.
Smartphones start with four-inch-plus screens, single-core 1 GHz mobile processors, five-plus megapixels cameras, and multiple microphones – which enable a decent video and gaming experience. The new super phones use powerful multi-core CPU processors, lightning-fast GPUs and ultralow power requirements – which create magical video and gaming experiences.
“Real super phones require real super chips,” said Ben Barjarin, Principal at Creative Strategies Inc. “The new super phones being unveiled at CES will become an essential mobile computing device. And Tegra delivers these mobile computing capabilities for super phones better than anything else on the market.”
Their seamless multitasking and support for hardware-accelerated Adobe® Flash® Player begin the process of merging the smartphone, with a game console and multimedia device. The result is a mobile web experience capable of console-quality, multi-player, cross-platform gaming, as well as enormous flexibility in terms of carrying out multiple tasks at once.
One of the first devices in this next wave of super phones is the new LG Optimus 2X powered by Tegra 2.
Tegra 2 Highlights:
• The Tegra 2 super chip turbocharges the super phone category and brings a new wave of devices to life with never-before-seen experiences. It features:
o Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU–The world’s first mobile dual-core CPU for faster Web browsing, snappier response time and better overall performance.
o Ultra-low powered (ULP) NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU–the ULP GeForce GPU delivers outstanding mobile 3D game playability and a visually engaging, highly responsive 3D user interface
o 1080p Video Playback Processor – Watch 1080p HD movies stored on your mobile device on your HDTV, without compromising battery life.
Tegra 2 enables new mobile media and gaming capabilities:
o For the first time, consumers will be able to game with multiple players
using different types of devices. For example, a Tegra 2-powered super
phone or tablet can be used to play with players on a desktop PC.
o NVIDIA demonstrated a prototype of Skype HD video calling on an
Android tablet at its CES 2011 press conference. NVIDIA developed a reference implementation of HD video conferencing on Tegra 2-based tablets using SkypeKit. SkypeKit is a collection of software and APIs that allows virtually any Internet connected device to offer Skype voice and video calls.
o NVIDIA introduced the Tegra Zone app. It allows consumers to find Tegra-optimized games for their super phone or tablet, along with professional game reviews, high-res screenshots, HD video trailers, gameplay videos, and behind-the-scenes featurettes. Consumers can complete their purchase of Tegra Zone games on the Android Market.
The LG Optimus 2X is the fast and hyper performance super phone:
o The Optimus 2X delivers faster performance, seamless multi-tasking, full
HDMI and true visual gaming for a better user experience.
o Key specifications include
4-inch WVGA screen
8GB memory (up to 32GB via microSD)
1,500 mAh battery
8 megapixel rear camera and 1.3 megapixel front camera
1080p MPEG-4/H.264 playback and recording
Details can’t yet be provided for other super phones that will be announced shortly at CES.
• “We’ve entered the super phone era. People are looking at their mobile device as a computer first and a phone second. Tegra’s brought the super phone to another level with new mobile experiences that haven’t been possible before.” – Michael Rayfield, General Manager of the Mobile business at NVIDIA
• “We are very excited about the trusted partnership with NVIDIA, and also very proud of the result of the collaboration: the LG Optimus 2X. This Tegra 2- powered dual-core super phone will set the new standard in the smartphone industry, delivering users a new-dimensional smartphone experience. LG also looks forward to future partnerships with NVIDIA that will further promote our shared passion for innovation.”
– Yong Seok Jang, Vice President of Business Strategy team, LG Electronics Mobile Communications Company
• ”As a close and longtime partner of NVIDIA, we are excited to see how rapidly the performance of mobile phones is advancing. With Tegra 2, NVIDIA continues to push the boundaries and delivers a chip that offers amazing content experiences for next generation devices.”
– Danny Winokur, Vice President, Flash Runtime at Adobe
• “We are excited that NVIDIA has leveraged SkypeKit to build a reference implementation of HD video calling on Android Tablets. In the near future, consumers will be able to make video calls from their Tegra-powered Tablets to anyone else using Skype, whether it’s on a PC, Mac, TVs, or phones.”
– Manrique Brenes, Director of Business Development at Skype
• “Netflix is using the Tegra 2 development platform to bring the Netflix experience to Android super phones and tablets. We’re working closely with NVIDIA to ensure Netflix takes full advantage of Tegra’s outstanding acceleration and security capabilities.”
– Greg Peters, Vice President, Product Development at Netflix
• “It’s time for the next gaming revolution. Tegra 2 holds the power of a console in the palm of your hands. Games like Dungeon Defender are in true HD, and more realistic, interactive and challenging on devices with Tegra 2.” – Jeremy Stieglitz, Development Director at Trendy Entertainment