Back on October 18, we reported that Megaupload’s founder Kim Dotcom planned to launch a new file sharing service named Mega. Mega will replace the banned Megaupload file-sharing website, which now displays nothing more than a spiffy FBI notice. The new file-sharing network has been announced, and is set to launch in January.
The new website is said to be raid-proof due to hosting outside of the US and an encryption system that absolves Mega of responsibility for hosting copyrighted material. All files uploaded to Mega will be encrypted before they’re uploaded. An encryption key will be provided with each download that lets the downloader decrypt the file.
Because Mega will have no way to view the files uploaded to its system, Dotcom says it cannot be liable for any infringing material. Said Dotcom, “The new Mega will not be threatened by US prosecutors. The new Mega avoids any dealings with US hosters, US domains and US backbone providers and has changed the way it operates to avoid another takedown.”
Dotcom’s house was raided earlier this year, and he served a brief stint in jail. He’s slated for an extradition hearing in January, and faces prosecution in the US. Mega will go live sometime in January; whether it ends up being another Megaupload, destined to be raided and shutdown, is anyone’s guess.