Back in May, Disney announced that it was ending production of its expansive Disney Infinity game series as it exited game publishing entirely. Now the company has detailed the shut down process for the game’s online services, and simply put, it’s a bit messy. Disney Infinity was released on so many different platforms, with several ways to buy it on PC alone, and it seems like there’s different stages of the shut down for each version.
The shut down will take place over the next eight months, with March 3rd, 2017 being the final day, when all online services and community features for all versions of Disney Infinity will be closed. However, some features and versions of the game will be discontinued before then, making it completely unplayable on certain platforms.
The good news is that console and handheld versions will remain playable indefinitely, with only the online services being removed. This includes Disney Infinity on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS3, Wii U, Wii, 3DS, and Vita.
However, the mobile versions of the game (both iOS and Android) and the PC version purchased on the Disney Infinity website will not be playable at all starting September 30th. The Windows Store version on PC will not be playable after March 3rd, however, while the Steam version will remain playable without online services, just like on consoles. See what I mean about messy?
If you’re not confused enough yet, here’s the full schedule breakdown from the official Disney Infinity website:
July 29, 2016
– No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed.
– You can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
September 30, 2016
– You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app stores.
– The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued.
– Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the App Store.
– The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017.
January 3, 2017
– No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed.
March 3, 2017
– Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable.
– All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued.
SOURCE Disney Infinity