The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has published a pair of advisories warning the public to avoid sodium chlorite products sold under the names Miracle Mineral Solution and Master Mineral Solution. These products, according to the FDA, are sold as ‘treatments’ for a variety of conditions, including everything from the flu to autism and cancer. ‘Consumers are drinking bleach,’ the FDA warns.
Miracle Mineral Supplement is a pseudo-medicine that, when ‘activated,’ turns into an industrial bleach. The product is sold as distilled water containing 28-percent sodium chlorite, according to the FDA, which says that buyers are advised to mix the liquid with an acid (citric acid, for example), in order to ‘activate’ it.
When mixed with acid, the sodium chlorite solution becomes chloride dioxide, more commonly known as bleach. This chemical solution is used in industrial cleaning products; anyone who drinks it can suffer serious health consequences including up to death. The agency says it has received reports of cases where people experienced severe diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, low blood pressure, and liver failure after consuming Miracle or Master Mineral Solution.
The agency reports that MMS products list the possibility of vomiting and diarrhea, falsely claiming that these symptoms are signs that the product is working. Rather, the FDA warns that these symptoms are serious reactions to what can potentially be a fatal product and that anyone who experiences these symptoms after consuming MMS should get medical treatment ASAP.
FDA Acting Commissioner Ned Sharpless, M.D., said in a statement:
Miracle Mineral Solution and similar products are not FDA-approved, and ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach … The FDA will continue to track those selling this dangerous product and take appropriate enforcement actions against those who attempt to evade FDA regulations and market unapproved and potentially dangerous products to the American public.