Apple warn iPod & iPhone users about static shocks

Chris Davies - May 20, 2009, 5:11 am CDT
1
Apple warn iPod & iPhone users about static shocks

Apple is advising iPod and iPhone owners to choose natural fibers rather than synthetic materials, install an air humidifier, and avoid touching their PMP, in the hope that it will prevent static electricity shocks.  The advice, part of a warning added to the company’s support site this week, blames “extremely dry air” for most static build-up, and denies any particular susceptibility of iPods and iPhones to the condition.

The static electricity build-up can be caused by low-humidity environments, using an iPod in a very windy environment, and repeated removal and replacement of an iPod into a bag or pocket.  Apple also suggest that jogging or exercising can trigger static, as can wearing materials such as nylon.

However, the company is clear that “receiving a static shock from a pair of earbuds does not necessarily indicate an issue with the iPod, iPhone, or earbuds” and that any gadget can prove susceptible.  How long before we see third-party manufacturers bringing out anti-static hand lotion?

[via Tweaktown]


Must Read Bits & Bytes