This week the folks at Sony Mobile Communications have ushered in the Xperia ZL for a full United States release, making sure to note that it is their most compact 5-inch offering ever. In fact, they make sure to say that this 5-inch display-toting beast is the most compact 5-inch smartphone in the world, coming complete with a 13 megapixel camera on the back and powered by their lovely Mobile BRAVIA Engine under the hood. What's that mean for you? It means the best Sony-made smartphone ever pushed to the USA is on it's way now!
This device works with some advanced industrial design features such as concentration on perfecting the roundness of the edges and "premium build and craftsmanship" put specifically into the power button. Strange and excellent! This device also works with a display that's got Sony's own touch of greatness in it with "Reality Display" technology and power backed up by Sony's Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2.
NOTE: Don't forget to check out our review of the Xperia Z as well - similar, but not the same!
This device also boasts implementation of Sony's own Exmor RS technology, the first in the world - so they say - that offers a mobile implementation of HDR Video. You'll find that this device also works with a "STAMINA" mode for battery life extension so you'll be able to shoot all day long.
Key features for Xperia ZL:
• 5" 1080 x 1920p full HD Reality Display with Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2
• 13MP Fast Capture camera with Exmor RS for mobile, HDR video (1080p), Superior Auto and • Noise Reduction to effortlessly capture razor sharp pictures and videos in any conditions
• Battery STAMINA for improved standby time
• NFC-enabled and Infra-red capable
• 1.5 GHz asynchronous quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro processor with 2GB RAM
• MSRP $759.99 (unlocked, Model C6506) and $719.99 (unlocked, Model C6502)
• Available colors: Black, White, Red
• Xperia ZL will launch on Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Past the idea that this machine will be launching with the not-quite-newest version of Android (with 4.1 instead of 4.2 Jelly Bean), it's clear that Sony means business with this release. Expect this lovely little amalgamation of bits and pieces to be available to you sooner than later right here in the USA! Pre-sales have already begun!