Olympus' second camera of the day can't do anything as fancy as shoot high quality video and images simultaneously, but you can at least throw it under the nearest 100kg weight and still expect it to function. The Olympus TOUGH TG-810 arguably tempts fate by describing itself as "crushproof," and packs a 14-megapixel sensor, 5x optical zoom, dual-image stabilization and integrated GPS and electronic compass.
As well as that 100kg resilience there's waterproofing up to 10m, shockproofing up to 2m, and freezeproofing up to -10 degrees C. A double-lock mechanism keeps the ports and card reader secure, and the chassis is scratch resistent.
Interestingly, there's Olympus' TAP Control system which allows you to operate common features by tilting and tapping the TG-810: handy if it's freezing cold and you're trying to work it while wearing gloves. The Olumpus TOUGH TG-810 will go on sale in mid-March, in silver and black, priced at €299.
State-of-the-art TOUGH flagship is world’s first 100kg crushproof* camera
Crushproof OLYMPUS TOUGH is world record holder
TG-810 has 3-sensor compass for outdoor action
Hamburg, 2 March 2011 – Just when everyone thought the TOUGH range couldn’t get any tougher, Olympus launches the ultimate indestructible camera. The new OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-810 delivers fabulous-quality HD movies and stills – and something just as valuable: unlimited peace of mind. This state-of-the-art TOUGH blows the competition away with record-breaking ruggedness and unique TOUGH technology. The stats speak for themselves. The TOUGH flagship is the world’s first camera that’s crushproof* to a weight of 100kg, so an adult can tread on it and it’ll keep going fine. Thanks to double-durable lens and port technology, the TG-810 is also waterproof*, shockproof*, freezeproof* and scratch resistant to an unprecedented degree. With its built-in manometer, unique three-sensor GPS & Electronic Compass and high-resolution,
glare-resistant HyperCrystal III LCD, this stylish camera is the ideal companion for an active lifestyle – from home to hotel to a hike through the Himalayas. Packed with advanced automatic features for easy shooting in tricky conditions, the new TOUGH captures memories just like they happened, and keeps them extra safe for sharing wirelessly with friends and family. The OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-810 is available for €299 from mid-March 2011.
The toughest ever TOUGH
You don’t have to live like a stuntman to abuse a camera. But with the OLYMPUS TOUGH flagship, you could. It’s the world’s first camera that’s crushproof up to a weight of 100kg. But that’s just the start. A sliding double lock mechanism and additional metal lens barrier ensure the TG-810 is waterproof to a huge depth of 10m, shockproof to a height of 2m and freezeproof to -10°C. There’s even a built-in manometer to make sure you don’t dive too deep. Just as well. Because this camera is packed with ingenious technology that’s hard to find elsewhere – and makes it a joy to capture photos and HD movies, whatever the weather, wherever you are.
The safest and smartest
The best cameras (and mobile phones) often come with GPS. But only Olympus’ GPS & Electronic Compass has three sensors to record the direction the camera is pointing (even when it’s turned off). That makes it an excellent piece of kit for finding your way in unfamiliar surroundings. It displays more than 700,000 nearby geographic and natural points of interest – the maximum for a GPS-equipped camera. At a glance, users can check their latitude, longitude and altitude, shooting direction, the date and time or air and water pressure. In the water, the TG-810 really comes into its own. i-Underwater Snapshot, one of four underwater settings, detects when the camera is submerged and adjusts white balance automatically to ensure beautiful, worry-free shots – even in optional 3D. No matter the element, the 5x wide optical zoom lens (28-140mm**) provides precision and flexibility, while the large, three inch 920,000 dot high-definition HyperCrystal III LCD reproduces images on the spot in very high quality.
The best of the best
Like the other two OLYMPUS TOUGH cameras, the TG-810 offers high-end features that make editing and sharing a breeze, for example Eye-Fi card compatibility that lets users automatically transfer images wirelessly to a website or PC.
The TG-810 is available in silver and black for €299 from mid-March 2011.
OLYMPUS TOUGH TG-810
• Crushproof* up to the world-record weight of 100kg
• Waterproof* to 10m, shockproof* to 2m and freezeproof* to -10°C for worry-free use anytime anywhere
• Metal lens barrier for extra-tough lens protection
• Sliding double lock mechanism for optimum protection of battery, card slots and ports
• Water-repellent and scratch-resistant double seal technology
• Built-in manometer for checking depth underwater
• GPS & Electronic Compass with unique three-sensor technology for orientation and key information at a glance
• Improved TAP Control Mode for controlling the camera by tapping or tilting the body, ideal when wearing gloves
• Four underwater scene modes, including i-Underwater Snapshot (with the camera set to i-Auto) for worry-free underwater shooting
• 5x wide optical zoom (28-140mm**) for shooting flexibility
• 3D photo shooting mode for striking stills
• Dual Image Stabilisation for reducing blur with fast-moving shots
• TruePic III+ processor for ideal colour reproduction and low noise
• 720p HD Movie with sound for capturing movies in excellent quality
• 14 Megapixels for high-quality full-size movies, stills and prints
• ISO 80 to 1600
• Magic Filters for adding creative effects to HD movies and/or stills: Punk, Pop Art, Pin Hole, Drawing, Soft Focus, Fish Eye (photos only), plus new Sparkle (photos only) and Watercolour
• Beauty Mode for hiding unwanted blemishes
• Intelligent Auto Mode (i-Auto) and AF Tracking for easy setting and focussing
• Face Detection and Shadow Adjustment Technology for capturing people’s faces just as you want them
• Pet Detection Mode for automatically capturing dog’s or cat’s faces when they look at the camera
• Scene Mode for automatic settings that suit specific conditions (e.g., Landscape, Night)
• In-Camera Panorama for quick and easy panorama shots
• Built-in flash
Storage & Sharing
• 3.0” 920,000 dot Super Precision HyperCrystal III LCD for TOUGH, generating clearer images and reducing reflection even in direct sunlight
• SDHC and SDXC memory card compatible***
• Photo Surfing and [ib] software for browsing, organising and viewing images by person, place, location or event
• Eye-Fi Card compatibility for automatic wireless uploading of images to a website or PC
• HDMI technology for controlling your camera from one remote when it’s connected to HD equipment
• USB charging
* Crushproof according to Olympus test conditions. Waterproof according to IEC standard publication 529 IPX8. Shockproof figures equivalent to MIL Standard (Olympus test conditions). Freezeproof according to Olympus test conditions.
** 35mm camera equivalent.
*** SD is a trademark of SD Card Association.