It’s a great day for TeleNav and Cingular. The two companies just announced the roll out of the TeleNav GPS navigation service. It’s real-time, turn-by-turn voice and on-screen navigation system cost an additional $9.99 per month for unlimited trips while the $5.99 plan only gets you 10 trips. The service does require Cingular data plan. This isn’t a bad deal since a decent GPS device ranges from $300 to $800+.
Speaking of GPS enabled devices; Cingular also launched the brand new iPAQ hw6920 smartphone, featuring EDGE, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Its got a nice 3-inch screen while the 1-megapixel camera should have been left out all together – shame on you HP. The hw6920 is on the more expensive end priced at $599. Ouch.
Features of TeleNav GPS Navigator on Cingular Wireless devices include:
- Voice and onscreen turn-by-turn directions – Enter or call in your destination and TeleNav GPS Navigator computes your route. As you drive, you get up-to-the minute guidance and will automatically be re-routed if you miss a turn. Users can also preview their routes before they begin driving and specify preferences including highways and streets.
- Full-Color Moving Maps (available on select phones) - See colorful maps of your current GPS location or any other address and pan and zoom the map to view the surrounding streets.
- Biz Finder - Find businesses such as ATMs, restaurants, hotels, gas stations and easily navigate to them with the click of a button. Biz Finder also allows users to quickly look up and call the phone number for a business.
- Fuel Finder – Save money by finding the lowest gas prices near you.
- Spot Marker – Easily find your car wherever you park it such as in a large parking lot or on an unfamiliar downtown street.
- Pedestrian Mode – Use TeleNav GPS Navigator while you are walking to help guide you through on long walks or through crowded downtown streets.
TeleNav / Cingular [thanks Mary Beth!]