Did you wake up this morning to a firmware update? Owners of the HTC DROID Eris on Verizon may have, since the carrier has begun OTA distribution of the 1.16.605.1 ROM [PDF link]. While we'd love to see Android 2.0 on the cards, unfortunately this is more a bug fix and feature fettle release, including such niceties as better switching between 1x and 3G networks.
Distribution of the OTA update began at midnight ET, and it's not something you'll receive without knowing about it: your DROID Eris will ask you to confirm the download and the installation. Verizon reckon the roll-out will take around a week to get to everybody, so if you don't wake up to an update alert then don't start worrying.
• While on a call and the device is in screensaver mode, pressing the End key now takes the device out of screensaver mode, and a second press will end the call.
• On-call mute and speakerphone icon functionality is enhanced.
• Upgraded functionality after activation eliminates the delay users were experiencing in receiving their first call.
• Device now switches effectively from 1x mode to 3G.
• Device no longer requires users to reselect a default email after power-cycling.
• Improved picture messaging functionality allows messages from LG phones to be opened.