Popular and ever-expanding GPS location and mapping service TeleNav is newly available today on Verizon's iPhone 4. TeleNav is now a free app in the Apple App Store - this app will only be activated for download following the expected launch of Verizon's iPhone 4 on February 10. Users who download this app will receive free maps and local search in addition to free access to advanced navigation features like spoken turn-by-turn directions and fabulous 3D moving maps.
These features will be available for the first 30 days after download at which point the advanced navigation features will switch over to pay-as-you-go costs of $2.99 per month or $21.99 per year. On the other hand, GPS map and local search capabilities remain free either way.
Some of the Advanced Navigation features you'll be receiving if you continue with the subscription service are thus:
• Spoken Turn-by-Turn Directions with Street Names
• 2D and 3D Moving Maps - view in your choice of either, zoom in or out, both options moving in real time as you advance down the map.
• Automatic Reroute - in case of an obstruction.
• Automatic Map Updates - at no additional update cost and totally automatic.
• Nighttime Optimized Navigation - automatic brightness adjustment based on the time of day
• iOS Multitasking Support — TeleNav runs in the background whilst other iPhone apps work in the foreground (like music, for example.)
TeleNav is designed to work with the user to provide as personalized an experience as possible - which is great since leading a fellow around to the places he's gotta go is about the most personal thing a program can do! Some of the personalization features included in this version of TeleNav are:
• Shake-to-Go - Shake your phone at any point while TeleNav is open to change your destination back to whichever place you've designated as "Home."
• My Favorites – Save a list of your most visited places for easy access.
• My Contacts – Use your contact list's addresses to find your friends homes and give them a visit!
• Route Preferences – Avoiding HOV lanes, Toll Roads, and just about any other sort of undesirable road condition by telling your TeleNav what your driving preferences are.
• iPod Control – In-app iPod controls allow users to search songs, artists, or playlists from within TeleNav GPS.
Local Search is one of the primary elements in TeleNav GPS in that its both comprehensive and completely up-to-date. You'll find over 22 million local listings in the USA including businesses, landmarks, airports, ATMs, movie theaters and more. Automatic updates and detailed listings make this experience as accurate and enjoyable as possible. Local Search is available in both the free and the subscription versions of TeleNav GPS for iPhone.
Check out the full press release below:
TeleNav GPS™ Navigation and Local Search App Launching for
iPhone® 4 on Verizon Wireless
Advanced Turn-by-Turn Navigation Features Available for Free for First 30 Days After Download
Sunnyvale, Calif. – Feb. 7, 2011 – TeleNav, Inc. (NASDAQ: TNAV), one of the largest global wireless location-based services providers, today announced that TeleNav GPS (http://www.telenav.com/gps-navigator/apple-iphone/verizon/ ) will be available on the Apple® App Store as a free download on the iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless upon certification following the expected device launch on February 10, 2011. Individuals who download TeleNav GPS will receive free maps and local search capabilities, as well as free access to advanced navigation features, such as spoken turn-by-turn directions and 3D moving maps, for the first 30 days after download. Following the free 30-day period, customers may continue using the advanced navigation features for a pay-as-you-go cost of $2.99 per month or $21.99 per year. Alternatively, they can choose to use only GPS map and local search capabilities for free.
“We designed this app and the pricing structure to give people a choice when it comes to meeting their GPS needs,” said Sal Dhanani, co-founder and vice president of products for TeleNav. “Users can choose to use the app as a free map and local search application, or choose to upgrade and buy the advanced turn-by-turn navigation features. Our goal is to make it easy for people to find where to go and how to get there with the best choice in personalized navigation.”
Advanced Navigation Features
Users choosing to pay $2.99 per month or $21.99 per year for the advanced TeleNav GPS navigation experience will have access to features including:
· Spoken Turn-by-Turn Directions with Street Names – Unlike basic map applications that show a static route on a map, when using the advanced navigation features available with TeleNav GPS, users receive spoken turn-by-turn directions with street names to guide them to their destination.
· 2D and 3D Moving Maps – Users can see their current location and nearby streets with accurate, moving maps viewable in 2D or 3D with zoom in and out options.
· Automatic Reroute – TeleNav GPS users don’t have to worry about missing a turn while navigating. The application will quickly update the route and redirect them to their destination.
· Automatic Map Updates – TeleNav GPS features regular map updates to ensure that users are being routed using the most up-to-date maps available. Updates are automatic, so users aren’t required to perform a manual installation or buy updated content.
· Nighttime Optimized Navigation – TeleNav GPS adjusts brightness levels to make viewing easier during nighttime driving.
· iOS Multitasking Support—Users can access and use other iPhone applications with TeleNav GPS navigating in the background.
A Personalized Navigation Experience
The advanced TeleNav GPS navigation option also includes a number of personalized features designed to make the navigation experience unique for each user. These features include:
· Shake-to-Go – Allows users to simply shake their iPhone 4 while using TeleNav GPS and they will automatically be routed to a location they have previously set as their home address.
· My Favorites – Users can easily save the locations they visit most often, or would like to visit, for instant access to their favorite places.
· My Contacts – TeleNav GPS connects to contacts stored in the user’s iPhone 4.
· Route Preferences – Users have the option to receive routes based on their driving preferences, such as avoiding HOV lanes and Toll Roads.
· iPod Control – TeleNav GPS users can play their favorite songs while navigating, using enhanced, in-app iPod controls with the ability to search through songs, artists, or playlists from within TeleNav GPS.
More Comprehensive Local Search
TeleNav GPS makes it easy to find where to go and how to get there with accurate, fast, and comprehensive local search. Whether customers choose the advanced navigation experience or the free maps and local search option, they will have access to:
· More Than 22 Million Local Listings in the U.S. – TeleNav GPS provides easy local search capabilities for business locations, historical landmarks, airports, ATMs, movie theaters and more.
· Automatic Listing Updates – TeleNav GPS local search listings are automatically updated to ensure the listings are accurate and new listings are added regularly.
· Detailed Listing Information – Local listings include detailed information to help users make more educated decisions such as ratings, reviews and merchant info.
“We’re constantly monitoring the accuracy and breadth of our local search,” said Dhanani. “We are committed to offering the best experience for customers as they prepare to hit the road and drive to their destination. We’ll continue to update TeleNav GPS on the iPhone 4 and offer new features to enhance our customers’ experience.”
TeleNav GPS will be available on the Apple App Store as a free download upon certification following the expected device launch on February 10, 2011. The app is free to download and includes free access to advanced navigation features for the first 30 days. Individuals interested in receiving an e-mail notification when TeleNav GPS becomes available on the Apple App Store should visit http://www.telenav.com/gps-navigator/apple-iphone/verizon/ to sign up.
About TeleNav, Inc.
TeleNav, Inc. is a leading provider of consumer location-based services (LBS), enterprise LBS and automotive LBS with more than 20 million paying subscribers as of December 31, 2010. TeleNav's solutions provide consumers, wireless service providers, enterprises and automakers with location-specific, real-time, personalized services such as GPS navigation, local search, mobile advertising, mobile commerce, location tracking and workflow automation. TeleNav's technology is available across more than 600 types of mobile phones, all major mobile phone operating systems and a broad range of wireless network protocols. TeleNav's service providers and partners include AT&T, Bell Mobility, Boost Mobile, China Mobile, Cincinnati Bell, Ford Motor Company, NII Holdings, Rogers, Sprint Nextel, Telcel, T-Mobile UK, T-Mobile USA, U.S. Cellular, Verizon Wireless and Vivo Brazil.
For more information on TeleNav, please visit www.telenav.com. Follow TeleNav on Twitter at www.twitter.com/telenav or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/telenav.
Copyright 2011 TeleNav, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
"TeleNav,” the TeleNav logo, and "telenav.com" are registered and unregistered trademarks and/or service marks of TeleNav, Inc., unless otherwise noted, all other trademarks, service marks, and logos used in this press release are the trademarks, service marks or logos of their respective owners.