yahoo

Yahoo publishes first-quarter 2013 financial data

Yahoo publishes first-quarter 2013 financial data

Yahoo has reported the results of 2013's first quarter, which came to an end on March 31. The numbers show a revenue of about $1.07 billion, a rate that Yahoo calls flat in comparison to the same quarter in 2012. Still, the company that has been struggling to regain its foothold has beat out expectations despite an 10-percent drop, pulling in $425 million in GAAP revenue.

Continue Reading

Summly app no longer functional soon: tech to return in Yahoo

Summly app no longer functional soon: tech to return in Yahoo

The Yahoo purchase of the app Summly and the technology therein have had one rather important effect on those users out there that've been using the system thus far - they're fresh out of luck. As the 17-year-old creator of the Summly ecosystem has become a millionaire overnight, he'll soon be working for Yahoo full time, and the Summly app will no longer be available to the public. Such is the nature of this takeover.

Continue Reading

Yahoo buys Summly news app for $30m

Yahoo buys Summly news app for $30m

Yahoo has just purchased the mobile news reader app, Summly, in an attempt to make Yahoo a more mobile-centric service. Sources have told All Things D that Yahoo paid $30 million to buy out the iOS app. They paid 90% in cash, and the other 10% in stock. They have also enlisted Nick D'Aloisio, the 17-year old who developed the app, to work with the company for at least 18 months.

Continue Reading

Woman fails to prove Google’s liable for unfortunate search results

Woman fails to prove Google’s liable for unfortunate search results

It looks like if you're one of those people who unfortunately have names associated with negative products, events, or descriptions, you're out of luck. A woman in Wisconsin has found that out again and again as she tries to make several search companies liable for negative search results related to her name. Beverly Stayart, CFO and Director of Business Development at Stayart Law Offices, has tried to sue various search engines like Alta Vista, Yahoo, and Google because of these results.

Continue Reading

Best Buy follows Yahoo and cancels work-from-home program

Best Buy follows Yahoo and cancels work-from-home program

For some reason, Best Buy believes that it's a good idea to follow Yahoo's example and forbid its workers from working from home. Considering all of the angry feedback Yahoo received from its employees as well as all of the negative press written about its structure change, you would think Best Buy would stay away from the idea. But no, it's decided to cancel its flexible work plan, entitled ROWE (Results-Only Work Environment).

Continue Reading

Yahoo preparing to shut down 7 services

Yahoo preparing to shut down 7 services

It looks like the work-at-home program isn't the only program Yahoo is shutting down. Yahoo is also planning on shutting down 7 other products that aren't bringing in the kind of success Yahoo needs right now. Along with these products, Yahoo also plans on reducing their number of mobile apps from 60-75 to a measly 12-15 apps. Jay Rossiter, Yahoo's executive VP of Platforms, stated, "The most critical question we ask is whether the experience is truly a daily habit that still resonates for all of you today."

Continue Reading