Barnes & Noble has been doing very well its Nook line of the readers. The company CEO, William Lynch, is talking about the future of the Nook and giving hints about what we might see in the future for the line. One of the things that he says is coming to the company the rear term is NFC technology.
Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch has today all but confirmed that the Nook hardware will never carry Windows 8 or any version of Windows in the future. Speaking with Fortune Magazine, Lynch let it be known that the primary reason Barnes & Noble and Microsoft are pairing up is their ability to bring the Nook ebook software to "millions of screens and windows." The Nook ereader hardware, on the other hand, will continue to run the open-sourced software known as Android through the future.
Though it might seem like the obvious next step in line for Microsoft to push Windows 8 to the Nook hardware after they invested millions into Barnes & Noble's newly formed NewCo for the hardware and subsequent apps, it's simply not in the cards that tablet. With Barnes & Noble having already invested heavily in the idea that their bookstore and app environment works with Android - not exactly like Google would like it, but still - they're not likely to move with Windows 8 for future ereaders any time soon. Instead it's the apps we'll be seeing integrated for Nook, the Barnes & Noble library of content, and Windows 8-toting hardware galore.
Barely was the e-ink dry on Microsoft and Barnes & Noble's $300m NOOK agreement when pundits were questioning the wisdom of adding Amazon to the software company's existing roster of big-name rivals. Microsoft is already under attack in mobile and computing, so the commentary went; throwing one of the biggest retailers around into the mixture was at best foolish and at worst evidence of Microsoft spreading itself thin when it needs to be extra lavish with its strokes. That analysis is wrong, though. Make no mistake: Apple, not Amazon, is in Microsoft's sights today.
Microsoft and Barnes & Noble may have co-launched a digital NOOK business together, but the two firms say it's still too soon for talk of Windows 8 on NOOK-branded tablets. Speaking on an investor call about the deal, Microsoft's Andy Lees said neither company would be talking product roadmaps today, and pointed out that Microsoft has not done a teardown on the NOOK devices to see where they are in terms of Windows 8 requirements.
Microsoft and Barnes & Noble have today announced a joint partnership to form a new subsidiary. The new subsidiary doesn’t yet have a name, but is said to bring together the digital and college sides of the Barnes & Noble business. Microsoft will make a $300 million investment in exchange for a 17.6% equity stake. Barnes & Noble will own the remaining 82.4%, with the subsidiary having an “ongoing relationship with the company’s retail stores.”
When reviewing the 7-inch tablet known as the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, we mostly stuck to describing its graces and faults in and of itself, but this week Samsung has released several charts comparing the device to two of what they see as its main rivals. You'll find that Samsung has quite a few areas it's eager to show off as superior here in the Galaxy Tab 2 that, shown here, certainly seem to be lacking in the competition. Is it time for e-readers to step up their game and go Android without the extra skin, or will the two other champions of text-based media here in the tablet universe beat out Samsung's newest effort?
It appears that what first appeared on the first of this month in the Barnes & Noble store archives has suddenly become a whole lot more real: NOOK headphones! These phones at the moment only have an image and a code-name attached to them, but the details can be gleaned relatively easily. What we're almost certainly looking at here is the book store's first step into the music sales business in a way that's not just hard-backed CD cases and audio books.
Barnes & Noble today revealed their next generation Nook in Nook Simple Touch form, this time with a brand new feature by the name of GlowLight. What we've got here is a $139 "Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight", perhaps the longest name in gadgets today, bringing the e-ink game to a new level of readability in the dark. Several publishers had their chance to take a hands-on look with this device in New York today, some of their more pointed opinions included here below.