There’s a whole new (old) wave of games coming to Nintendo’s current collection of modern consoles. Both the GameBoy Advance and the Wii U will be getting a set of games throughout April, starting this week with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid Fusion, and Advance Wars. If you’ve played the last on that list of games, you know why the full collection of GameBoy Advance titles has been long awaited on a Nintendo digital front.
Today it’s been made official: Nintendo will be visiting the Midwest Gaming Classic, a sort of "retro" gaming convention where you’ll find as many pinball machines as you will Xbox One or PlayStation 4 units. Heading straight for the Pokemon Podcast room, Nintendo will be bringing along a collection of handheld gaming devices for fans to play Pokemon on while they earn themselves a pair of Mario Cat Ears.
This week you’re going to be able to begin your tapping of the Nintendo 2Ds with a lovely "Peach Pink" color straight from GameStop. Nintendo has decided to bestow this rather unique tone upon the gaming sales company as an exclusive release that includes a Disney Magical World case to boot. Unfortunate for Mario lovers, this is not "Peach" like Mario’s Peach - but we can pretend!
There's a game by the name of "Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life" out in Japan this season that's headed - soon - to the United States with a different title: Disney Magical World. This game is licensed by Namco Bandai and has already rung up a cool 500,000 copies sold, according to Nintendo Life, across the (comparatively tiny) country of Japan. Now that it's headed for the USA, it's looking like this title might just spark up some additional interest in the platform it'll run on - the Nintendo 3DS.
If there's a way to clearly understand how Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata feels on expanding their business into the mobile smartphone universe through Android and the iPhone, the tech publishing world has yet to find it. Today we're having a closer look at the transcript for Nintendo's recent earnings call, specifically in the (translated) words of Iwata, attempting to decipher what the company really means to do in the near future with their characters, and if they'll ever appear on non-Nintendo-made smartphones. Turns out he says yes, but he also says no, not a chance.
For those of you that've been playing every single Super Smash Bros. game since the first hit the N64, you may very well know about the type of player that hogs the edge. This is the sort of play where a player gets kicked off the side of a level and - barring the player that hangs on the edge to block them - would otherwise be able to flip back up. The next generation of Super Smash Bros. takes care of this nonsensical bit of gameplay.
This morning the creator of the Nintendo multiplayer franchise Super Smash Bros., Masahiro Sakurai, has posted a single screenshot of a next-generation game. This game will almost certainly exist inside the Super Smash Bros. universe, and due to the fact that the Super Smash Bros. games for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS are coming in 2014, rumors are flying wildly. Sakurai suggests only that this pic does not show “a story mode like The Subspace Emissary.”
Nintendo has reported its 2013 3DS sales for the year, with the maker hitting a sweet-spot record leading into what it anticipates to be a strong 2014. Last year, Nintendo had the highest ever 3DS sales in the United States, with game sales jumping a huge 45-percent, as well. The company had detailed its game release plans for this year, starting with the full game launch of Bravely Default on February 7.
The Nintendo eShop has been drifting in and out of service since sometime on Christmas Day, Kotaku reports, but it's finally back online as of earlier this afternoon. The eShop outages were due to a somewhat predictably large volume of traffic on the biggest gift receiving day of the year. The traffic jam was exacerbated by the creation of new Nintendo Network accounts and conversions from 3DS accounts.