There's a game by the name of "Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life" out in Japan this season that's headed - soon - to the United States with a different title: Disney Magical World. This game is licensed by Namco Bandai and has already rung up a cool 500,000 copies sold, according to Nintendo Life, across the (comparatively tiny) country of Japan. Now that it's headed for the USA, it's looking like this title might just spark up some additional interest in the platform it'll run on - the Nintendo 3DS.
Nintendo is betting on closer development of the Wii U console with its replacement for the 3DS, including faster cross-platform game coding, to turn the company around, with no plans to license characters like Mario out to third-party titles. The strategy for the next-gen handheld is to use Nintendo's newly-combined home and handheld development teams and harmonize the architecture of each, making them "like brothers in a family of systems" CEO Satoru Iwata suggested. In fact, that "family" could end up growing significantly as a result, he predicts.
This morning the creator of the Nintendo multiplayer franchise Super Smash Bros., Masahiro Sakurai, has posted a single screenshot of a next-generation game. This game will almost certainly exist inside the Super Smash Bros. universe, and due to the fact that the Super Smash Bros. games for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS are coming in 2014, rumors are flying wildly. Sakurai suggests only that this pic does not show “a story mode like The Subspace Emissary.”
Nintendo has confirmed it is "studying" the potential for smartphones and gaming, with company president Satoru Iwata admitting that it is "thinking about a new business structure" in the face of appalling Wii U sales. The Japanese gaming firm was forced to predict whole-year losses of $335 million - having previously guesstimated a $950m profit - after it said demand for the touchscreen console dropped by around 70-percent compared to earlier estimates. However, Iwata argued, it's not just a matter of porting classic Nintendo titles to iOS and Android.
Nintendo has reported its 2013 3DS sales for the year, with the maker hitting a sweet-spot record leading into what it anticipates to be a strong 2014. Last year, Nintendo had the highest ever 3DS sales in the United States, with game sales jumping a huge 45-percent, as well. The company had detailed its game release plans for this year, starting with the full game launch of Bravely Default on February 7.
Nintendo has cancelled its Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter launch plans in North America amid ongoing service outages, that have left the eShop inaccessible to Wii U and 3DS gamers since Christmas Day. The decision, Nintendo says, will mean that today's expected launch of the 3DS Pokemon service will no longer go ahead, having been postponed to an unspecified point in the future as it attempts to wrangle its recalcitrant servers.
Nintendo may not have made the same headlines as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 over the holidays, but a surge of users has seen the eShop suffer downtime for 3DS and Wii U owners since Christmas. The company has blamed an inrush of Nintendo Network ID registrations leaving owners of both its handheld and living room systems unable to access the eShop download store, and even forcing Nintendo to take its Pokemon Bank service offline in Japan.
Fans of the long-running Persona series of role-playing games and animes are in for a triple helping of new material. Atlus, the maker of the games, announced the upcoming titles one at a time over the course of this weekend's Persona event. Their Japan releases will be staggered over the coming 12 months.