Samsung has detailed the update process for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi-only slate, which as of Friday August 5 will bring the TouchWiz UI, Flash Player 10.3 and Samsung's latest Media Hub to the Honeycomb tablet. TouchWiz consists of multiple Live Panels with widgets laid out like magazines, offering easy access to news, weather, social networking and multimedia. There's also a new "Mini Mode Tray" with easy shortcuts for the Task Manager, Calendar, World Clock, Pen Memo, Calculator and Music apps.
A boosted Clipboard app, which can maintain a list of snippings rather than just a single one, together with a Photo Editor are also on the cards. Samsung's update will bring with it Swype, the Amazon Cloud Music Player, Kindle and game Words with Friends. There are also a bevy of enterprise-centric tweaks, like ActiveSync v.14 support, on-device encryption and VPN.
Mobile printing and HDMI output support from the updated Media Hub Show app round out the main additions, though the full change-list is below. You'll need a Samsung account on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 in order to receive the update - details here - and there's more information on the new software here. Those in New York City can have their Galaxy Tab updated early, meanwhile, from today.
- Live Panel: Magazine-like widget view for immediate access to weather, social updates, email, news, photo gallery, all on the home screen. The visual layout of Live Panel is completely customizable for one-touch entry into each user’s most important information.
- Mini Mode Tray: One-touch access to commonly used applications—Task Manager, Calendar, World Clock, Pen Memo, Calculator, Music—which overlay in a pop-up window on display screen for powerful multi-tasking.
- Clipboard: Advanced copy & paste functionality allows Galaxy Tab 10.1 users to store photos, Web pages, YouTube links, etc., on the clipboard for easy sharing via email and social network sites.
- Indicator Quick Panel: Quickly toggle on/off Wi-Fi, notifications, sound, brightness and settings in lower right hand corner of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 display.
- Photo Editor: Rotate, crop and adjust colors on high quality digital images
- Amazon Music Cloud Player: Upload your music in the cloud and access it from any device
- Amazon Kindle: Get access to about a million Kindle books
- Words with Friends: Face off against friends near and far with one of the most popular social games from Zynga
Enterprise Solutions and Services:
- Full support for Exchange ActiveSync version 14
- On device encryption
- Cisco VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Sybase MDM (Mobile Device Management)
- Cisco WebEx mobile conference solution for meetings on the go