Rockstar Games hit with cease-and-desist over allegations of song theft in GTA V

Oct 11, 2013
5

Rockstar Games, though experiencing a fair bit of issues it has been working to solve, has seen widespread success with its latest game, Grand Theft Auto V. A new snag has entered into its world, however, with producer and rapper Daz Dillinger accusing the game's maker of including two of his songs on the game's soundtrack without permission.

The information comes from celebrity-centric website TMZ, which reports that the rapper sent Rockstar Games a cease-and-desist letter. In the letter, Dillinger allegedly says the songs Nothin' But the Cavi Hit and C-Walk were included on the game's soundtrack despite the fact that the company's financial offer for the songs had been rejected.

According to the cease-and-desist letter, Rockstar Games offered to pay Dillinger $4,271 USD to use both songs in the game, something the rapper referred to as "offensively low". He turned down the offer, but Rockstar Games apparently didn't get the memo, going on to use both songs on its game soundtrack anyway. As a result, Dillinger is wanting the game maker to fork over a higher payment.

It wasn't specified how much Dillinger is seeking for the use of the two songs, but the alternative option presented in the letter is having all unsold copies of the game recalled and destroyed. Said the rapper to TMZ: "[The issue is about] respecting an artist's work. Rockstar didn't do that here and I can't let them get away with it."

Rockstar Games has been given two weeks to respond to the allegations.

VIA: PC Mag


Must Read Bits & Bytes