Our own Chris Scott Barr would likely never forgive me for saying it, but one of the reasons I've never really gotten into either Guitar Hero or Rock Band is because it all looks a bit naff. Plastic instruments end up looking like kids toys, unless you're willing to invest some serious hack-time in them. So Peak Products' Starpex could actually bring new gamers like myself onboard; styled after a real guitar, it has an instrument-quality, high-gloss lacquered finish with a hardwood body, neck, and headstock handcrafted by a leading guitar manufacturer.
Compatible with both Guitar Hero and Rock Band, there's a choice of connectivity - either wired or 2.4GHz wireless - and a modular design that allows for customization of different parts of the design. Controls include a "Speed Star" power/overdrive button, a built-in tilt sensor and optimized whammy bar. The ten fret buttons and strum bar are also enhanced, meaning both solo and traditional play is possible depending on which title you've chosen.
At the moment you'll need either a PS2 or PS3 to use the Starpex, and Peak are being coy about exactly when you'll be able to buy one. Expect it roughly in August 2008, priced at a vaguely reasonable (for a guitar, if not a controller) $179.95.
Peak Products Unleashes Starpex™, the First-Ever Full-Size, Wood, Playstation®2 and Playstation 3 Guitar Controller with the Authentic Look and Feel of a Real Guitar
For those about to rock…Peak salutes you!
Boston, MA– July 16th, 2008 - Peak Products, a gaming peripheral company dedicated to providing the best in instrument quality gaming controllers, announces Starpex, the first-ever full-size, wood, PS2™ / PS3™ Guitar controller with the look and feel of an actual guitar. Starpex boasts an instrument-quality, high-gloss lacquered finish with a hardwood body, neck, and headstock handcrafted by a leading guitar manufacturer giving the authentic guitar experience that Guitar Hero™ and Rock Band™ enthusiasts crave. Other unique features include…
- Full Guitar Hero and Rockband Functionality for PS2 and PS3 – Starpex is compatible with both PS2 and PS3, and allows users to experience the full list of game play features in both Guitar Hero and Rockband, including toggle effects switch and solo button functionality.
- Unique Speed Star Power / Overdrive Button provides the fastest and most accurate access to Star Power and Overdrive. Additionally, built in tilt sensor technology allows users to access Star Power and Overdrive in a more traditional way.
- Optimized Whammy Bar maximizes comfort, provides better feel, reduces fatigue and provides a higher level of durability.
- High Quality Ten Fret Button Design features optimal button travel for enhanced feel, reduced fatigue, and higher score potential. Ten fret buttons means that players have the option of using traditionally positioned fret buttons, or rock out with solo buttons high up on the neck which also provide critical soloing capabilities in Rockband.
- Enhanced Strum Bar gives the perfect balance of tactile and audible feedback to maximize enjoyment and scoring.
- Connectivity Options – Dual wired / wireless capabilities allow players to use a 15’ wired cable or a 2.4 Ghz wireless connection (both included).
- Forward - Thinking Compatibility – Starpex’s modular design allows users to easily separate the electronic components from the body of the guitar which will allow for further customization including new guitar bodies, pick guards, and more.
“With well over 11 million copies of Guitar Hero/Rock Band sold on the PlayStation consoles, we see a tremendous opportunity in bringing Starpex to market” says Jamie Leece, Vice President for Peak Products. “Never before have Guitar Hero/Rock Band enthusiasts been able to shred with a hardwood, handcrafted authentic guitar controller that’s built with the look and feel of a real guitar. This will change the way the games are played.”
The Starpex will be available in Circuit City and various retailers with an MSRP of $179.95 in late August. For more information on Peak Products, please visit www.Go-Peak.com coming on line in August
About Peak Products
Peak Products is a gaming peripheral company dedicated to providing gamers of the music genre with the very best in instrument quality gaming controllers. Evolving out of a passion for both music and gaming, Peak Products understands the level of precision and quality that both musicians and gamers demand from their equipment. By fusing together the style and craftsmanship of professional grade musical instruments with the comfort and performance of gaming controllers, Peak Products is able to provide the user with an enhanced musical gaming experience. Designed by leading engineers and tested by gamers, Peak Products delivers the look of authentic musical equipment, the feel expected out of any precision instrument, and the score demanded by any serious gamer. Peak Products: Look. Feel. Score.™