To say that there has been an explosion of digital creativity ever since Minecraft launch would probably be an accurate assessment. Nevermind recreations of locations, both actual and fictional, Minecraft has given imaginative and passionate people the tools to create almost anything inside the pixelated, blocky world, from simplistic computers to gigantic phones that do communicate with the real world. Now Microsoft, Minecraft's new curator, is preparing an update that could boost that creativity even further. With the upcoming Overworld patch, players will have more tools at their disposal to invent almost anything.
Redstone was the magical element that opened the floodgates to interactivity in Minecraft. With the Overworld update, new redstone components are going to be added to the virtual world, from comparators to repeaters to trapped chests. More Minecart types will also debut, allowing players to expand the number of things they can craft inside the world. We can't wait to see what wonderful, bizarre, and insane things they come up next.
That's not to say that the update will be all about redstone components. Minecraft will also be expanding the "fiction" of the open ended world by introducing witches. Well, actually witch huts that have cauldrons with randomly generated potions. Armors can soon be dyed to match your style and preference and trophies and maps can be put up on walls in your home. New items like slime blocks, wearable pumpkins, and improved chicken journey maps are also being added to the world.
New to the Windows 10 Edition Beta, which is, yes, still in beta after all this time, is the ability to import and export maps for sharing with friends. Eight new Xbox Gamerscore achievements have also been added, including:
• Camouflage – Kill a mob while wearing the same type of mob head.
• Dispense With This – Construct a dispenser.
• Tie Dye Outfit – Dye all 4 unique pieces of leather armor.
• Map Room – Place 9 fully explored, adjacent maps into 9 item frames in a 3 by 3 square.
• Trampoline Bounce – 30 blocks upward off of a slime block.
• Freight Station – Use a Hopper to move an item from a Chest Minecart to a Chest.
• Smelt Everything! – Connect 3 Chests to a single Furnace using 3 Hoppers.
• Taste of Your Own Medicine – Poison a witch with a splash potion.
The Minecraft Overworld Update will launch at the end of the month to both the Windows 10 Edition Beta as well as the Pocket Edition, the latter available on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.