Judge rules traffic cameras violate motorists’ rights

Mar 9, 2013
32
Judge rules traffic cameras violate motorists’ rights

A judge in Ohio ruled that the traffic cameras located in Elmwood Place, Ohio are a violation of the motorists' rights. Judge Robert Ruehlman stated that the entire system is a scam. Many drivers and business owners believed that the cameras were too harsh and that they were becoming detrimental to the village's image. The cameras were installed back in September 2012, and over 6,600 speeding tickets were already issued.

Apparently, the ruling was upheld because the city failed to follow Ohio's law of notifying the public before instating the traffic cameras. Alongside that violation, Ohio motorists stated that it was too difficult to challenge the traffic violations in court, especially since the village benefits financially from them. Because of all of these traffic citations, many motorists began avoiding the area and many businesses suffered because of it.

The traffic tickets impose a $105 fine on the motorist. The village has accumulated almost $700,000 since September. The city receives 60% of the money, and the company running the traffic cameras take the remaining 40%. Motorists feel that the cameras are just a scheme for the local government to make money. The village authorities have stated, however, that the traffic cameras have helped immensely in making the village safer.

This is the first time that a ruling has been made against traffic cameras. Judge Ruehlman stated that the cameras were a scam "that the motorists can't win." Another city in Ohio has been receiving complaints about its traffic cameras. The City of Dayton has imposed a regulation that states that if a person has two unpaid traffic tickets, their cars can be towed. Sometimes a person's car would be towed before they've even received notification of the second violation.

[via WDTN]


Must Read Bits & Bytes