Yesterday, we told you that HTC and Sprint had managed to get everything squared away with the Android 2.2 update, and sure enough, it looks like everything is still going well. Why do we say that? Because you can actually go download the official update right now, courtesy of Sprint’s support site. That’s right — you don’t have to wait for the OTA update that’s set to kick off on August 3rd. Find out after the break if the list of features is good enough for you to jump the gun and start your download early, or if you’ll be able to hold off and wait.
Below, you’ll find the official list from Sprint, giving you a quick run down of all the cool new features that the Froyo update is bringing your 4G device. So, without some more rambling, here you go:
This update offers:
- Ability to share applications
- Display events and birthdays from Facebook on Calendar
- Use camera LED as flashlight
- New user interface for the FM radio
- Add unknown users in Facebook as friends in Friend Stream
- Photo Gallery supports Facebook comments function
- Send contact as vCard using SMS
- Addition of MMS slideshow editor
- New pre-loaded widgets including Calculator, FM radio, Message list view, Profile settings and Ringtone settings
- Camcorder can use camera flash so video can be shot at night or in low light
- Flash 10.1 support
- Numeric PIN and alpha-numeric passwords to unlock screen
- Search widget and search bar able to switch to search in different types (web, specific application, or all)
- Adjustable alarm volume
- Android Market widget allows installation of applications on SD card
As you can see, it looks like HTC managed to throw just about everything, plus the trunk, into this update. Which makes sense, considering that everyone who’s bought the EVO since it came out has been aching to get their fingers on this version of Android. Some stand out features are that Market widget that will let you install applications from the SD card, and the new pre-loaded widgets like the calculator. Using your calculator without having to go into the menu, or into the application itself is pretty cool, if you ask us. Plus, don’t forget that new user interface for the FM radio. How cool is that?
Let us know in the comments if you’ve downloaded it from Sprint’s site, or if you are waiting for the OTA update. And, if you’re deciding to wait, let us know why — you’ve got to have a good reason to be holding yourself back from all these goodies, right?
UPDATE: HTC yanked the download not too long after, but if you look around we’re pretty sure there’s a copy floating around.