This week the developers behind Google Docs have presented their newest update to their web-based environment for document editing: fonts galore! This update will allow web fonts in Google documents, one whole heck of a lot of them, each of them working to allow you fabulous looks for your documents both online and offline in print form. There are over 450 fonts available in Google docs now, with additional features coming up quick!
To update your Google Docs environment, you'll have to click your FONT menu and select ADD FONTS. From there you'll be able to pick from a number of Google Web Fonts available. You can add the fonts you'd like to use multiple times to your everyday font menu if you like, all 450 of them!
In addition to fonts, there are several features Google has added to Docs to entice you to stick around in the cloud for the time being. First there are several new options for inserting images in your Docs. You can now insert images into your Docs via Google Drive, by searching in the LIFE Photo archive, or by taking a photo with your webcam - expansion!
The following additions have also been made to Google Docs:
• Accessibility in Docs got better with support for screenreaders in presentations and with the addition of NVDA to our list of supported screenreaders.
• From File > Page setup... you can now set the default page size for your new documents.
• It's now easier for speakers of right-to-left languages by automatically showing bidirectional controls when you type in a language that might use them.
• Apps Script had many improvements, including
• • A new ScriptService for programmatically publishing your scripts and controlling when they run.
• • A new function to find the root folder of someone’s Drive.
• • An increase in the allowed attachment size in emails from 5MB to 25MB.
• • An increase in the size of docs files you can create from 2MB to 50MB.
• There are now over 60 new templates in our template gallery.
Google Docs, needless to say, has suddenly become better than ever. Students and web-based businesspeople rejoice!