Addonics has come out with an innovative and compact size 4x1 Port Multiplier with integrated hardware Raid controller that’s OS independent. It comes in the form of System version (PCI-form factor) – to enable multiple hard drives inside a system to be connected together to form a RAID volume -- or Enclosure version – arts as external RAID array that fits inside Addonics family of Storage Tower, Storage Rack or other standard multi-bay enclosures.
The Enclosure version is equipped with USB and eSATA connectivity. Both versions support a host of RAID configurations from Raid 0, 3, 5, 10 to disk spanning. It doesn’t require software app, Raid function is selectable by dialing an onboard rotary switch. It’s not only compact, but also supports many advance features you wouldn’t normally expect from a port multiplier, and the $89 asking price makes it 10 times more attractive!.
The press release stated "superior performance" but there were no scores to support its claim, that usually means moderate speeds. I wouldn't hold my breath for a $89 raid controller.
* Connect up to 4 SATA I/II hard drives to computer via eSATA or USB port
* Compatible with CF memory card or Micro Drive™ using Addonics SATA CF adapters (ADSAHDCF or AD2SAHDCF)
* Compatible with any SATA controller (RAID or non RAID) or USB port
* Integrated hardware RAID controller to maximize performance
* Supports FAST2 (2 drive RAID0 Striping), FAST4 (4 drive RAID0 Striping), SAFE2 (RAID1 Mirroring), SAFE FAST (Mirrored Striped), BIG 2 (2 drive Concatenation), BIG 4(4 drive Concatenation), RAID 3+S, or RAID 5+S using built-in hardware RAID
* RAID configuration via rotary switch, no software required
* RAID volume can be used as a boot drive or as additional storage
* Multiple units can be daisy chainned
* System version mounts in any standard height or low profile PCI slot
* Enclosure version designed to fit Addonics Storage Tower, Mini Storage Tower, Storage RAck or multi-bay drive enclosure with SCSI-1 (Centronic 50-pin) back panel
* Support hot swap
* Multi-function LED Pin Headers for Host link, RAID status, individual drive activity, power, system ready and RAID diagnostic
* OS independent: DOS, All Windows, Mac OS X, Linux kernel 2.6 and above, Solaris 10 and above
* 4 internal SATA port for SATA / SATAII storage device
* SATA connector for host connection on system model
* Shielded and durable eSATA connector eSATA port for host connection on enclosure model
* 1 USB type A connector and 1 5-pin header USB connector for host connection
* LED Pin Headers for Host, 4 SATA devices, RAID status, Power On & System Ready, and RAID diagnostic
* Auto-negotiation support for 1.5Gbps and 3.0Gbps SATA
* Compliant with SATA II external specification
* Integrated hardware RAID controller supporting
o Disk striping with distributed parity (RAID 5)
o Disk striping with dedicated parity (RAID 3)
o Disk striping (RAID0) for maximum performance
o Disk striping with mirroring (RAID 10)
o Disk spanning for large capacity single volume
* Support for hot spare disk
* Support Hot-swapping
* Hardware RAID rebuild engine (up to HDD transfer rate)
* Sustained transfer rates in excess of 240Mbytes/s (limited only by HDD or interface transfer rates)
* USB mass-storage class compliant
* 48 GPIO (24 dedicated, 24 multiplexed)
* Maximum power consumption ~ 1 Watt
* Control board dimension (W x D x H) - 3.4 x 2.2 x .9 in. (85mm x 55mm x 23mm)
* Weight: 1.2 oz or 33g (without the mounting bracket)
* Operating temperature range: 0 °C to +70 °C
* Operating humidity range: 5% to 90%
* Storage temperature range: -40 °C to +85 °C
* Storage humidity range: 5% - 95% (non condensing)
* 1 year warranty
SAN JOSE, Calif. --(Business Wire)-- Feb 25, 2009 Addonics Technologies (www.addonics.com) today announced the 4X1 eSATA/USB Hardware Port Multiplier (HPM), which has an integrated RAID controller for superior read/write performance.
The 4X1 HPM can connect up to four SATA / SATA II hard drives to a host via a single SATA port or USB port. These connected drives can be easily set to different RAID configurations by dialing an onboard rotary switch. There is no driver or software installation required, thus making the addition of RAID storage to any system simple no matter what the operating system.
The RAID volume, once created, appears to any OS as another hard drive. It can be used as a boot drive in application servers or mission critical equipment. The 4X1 HPM is ideal in high capacity storage applications such as video storage, data archiving, home entertainment or multi-tera bytes storage farm.
The 4X1 eSATA/USB HPM comes in choice of the system version or the enclosure version. The system version enables multiple hard drives inside a system to be connected together to form a RAID volume.
The enclosure version fits perfectly into the Addonics family of Storage Tower, Storage Rack and many standard multi-bay enclosures with standard SCSI-1 connector cut out. The four hard drives inside the drive enclosure, connecting to this HPM, can form a high performance and reliable external RAID system that can be attached to any computer via high speed eSATA or USB 2.0 ports.
Other features include compatibility with any SATA controller (RAID or non RAID) or USB port; compatibility with CF memory card or Micro Drive™ using Addonics SATA CF adapters; use of RAID volume as a boot drive or as additional storage; the ability to daisy chain multiple units; hot swap support; system version mounts in any standard height or low profile PCI slot, and multi-function LED pin headers for host link, RAID status, individual drive activity, power, system-ready and RAID diagnostics.