It’s time for the big GameSpy Technology transfer. With GameSpy multiplayer servers going offline, groups like 2K are having to either transfer services for legacy games or make the hard decision to shut down online play completely. In most cases, lucky for you legacy game players, the transfer will be made - and it’ll be quick.
For the following games you’ll find transfers happening from GameSpy Technology services over to Steamworks. The Steamworks technology suite is held by Valve’s Steam, and there’s no end in sight - so rest easy.
• Civilization III;
• Civilization III: Conquests;
• Civilization III: Play the World;
• Civilization IV;
• Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword;
• Civilization IV: Colonization;
• Civilization IV: Warlords.
The games listed above will be transferring starting on May 31st, 2014. This transfer will occur over a number of weeks, but each transfer should be "temporary." Transition will include interruption of features including matchmaking, online play, and voiceover Internet protocol (VOIP). Offline play will not be interrupted for any title.
• Close Combat First to Fight (PC / Mac)
• Jetfighter (PC)
• Jetfighter V: Homeland Protector (PC)
• Leadfoot (PC)
• Rune (PC)
• Stronghold 2 (PC)
• Stronghold Legends (PC)
• Top Spin (PS2 / PC)
• Top Spin 2 (PC / DS)
• Vietcong (PC)
• Vietcong Demo (PC)
• Vietcong Fist Alpha (PC)
• Vietcong 2 (PC)
• Vietcong 2 Demo (PC)
• MLB Fantasy All-Stars (DS)
• Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (DS)
• Major League Baseball 2K9 Fantasy All-Stars (DS)
• NHL 2K10 (Wii)
• NBA 2K10 (Wii)
Above you’re also seeing a series of games which will no longer have online service from May 31st forward. These games - where applicable - will still have offline gameplay available.