Barnes & Noble have released their BN eReader for iPad app, and they're describing it as the most easily used and customizable of all such software on the tablet. A free download [iTunes link], the B&N app synchronizes with the company's nook dedicated ereader as well as their PC client. The iPad version doesn't support in-app purchases at this stage, but you can use LendMe to share (some) titles with others for limited periods.
As for all that customization, B&N reckon there are "literally millions" of colors to choose from, which can be individually applied to text, pages, highlights and links. There are also eight typefaces and five text sizes, and readers can adjust margins and spacing. If the choices start to get overwhelming then they've also come up with a few presets.
You can also add notes - which are also synchronized - as well as highlight and bookmark pages, and there's an integrated dictionary for definitions of words. With iBooks, Kindle and now BN eReader the iPad ebook market is getting pretty interesting, though user choice is likely to be pushed by whatever platform they've already bought into.
Barnes & Noble Introduces BN eReader for iPad™, The Most Easy-to-Use, Customizable iPad App for Reading and Buying eBooks and Periodicals
Free App Offers Access to Company’s Expansive eBookstore Featuring More Than One Million Digital Titles and Personal Barnes & Noble Digital Library
Only iPad eReading App That Allows Sharing eBook with Friends
Free Classics and Bestseller Samples Pre-Loaded for New BN.com Customers
New York, New York – May 27, 2010 – Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world’s largest bookseller, today launched its free BN eReader app for iPad™, offering the most personalized and easy-to-use eReading experience for Apple iPad owners. BN eReader for iPad users can customize the way they read with professionally designed or completely personalized themes, shop more than one million eBooks, newspapers and magazines in the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, and access their personal Barnes & Noble digital library, including most periodicals. BN eReader for iPad is the only eReading app that offers eBook sharing with friends.
BN eReader for iPad is designed to offer an easy, yet sophisticated, customizable reading experience. Users can choose from multiple ways to view their library, including professionally designed themes with elegant and complementary text and page colors, as well as fonts; and instantly switch between portrait and landscape views based on personal preference. BN eReader for iPad users can further personalize their reading experience with unparalleled options: literally millions of colors for text, pages, highlights and links; eight typefaces and five text sizes; and a variety of margins and customizable spacing options. Learn more or get the new application at www.bn.com/iPad.
“We’ve designed the most easy-to-use, highly customizable eReading experience for the iPad. Ours is the only app that enables iPad users to share eBooks with friends, shop Barnes & Noble’s vast catalog of eBooks and periodicals and access your personal Barnes & Noble digital library across multiple devices,” said Douglas Gottlieb, Vice President, Digital Products for Barnes & Noble.com. “We believe our customers will appreciate the book-centric touches we’ve incorporated into our iPad app experience – including some extra large text sizes, ample margins, and line lengths and spacing inspired by classic book design conventions – along with the opportunity to fully personalize that experience to enjoy reading books whichever ways they like best.”
Lend to Friends
Using Barnes & Noble’s breakthrough LendMe™ technology, BN eReader for iPad customers can share eligible eBooks with friends who can enjoy the titles on a NOOK™ eBook Reader, iPad, iPhone®, iPod touch® and PC enabled with free BN eReader software. Last page read, highlights, notes and bookmarks will also sync across BN eReader for iPad and PC, and in early summer, with iPhone and iPod touch, with more to follow.
The LendMe experience was designed to be seamlessly integrated with the iPad. BN eReader for iPad users can simply choose an eligible eBook flagged with the LendMe icon, then access their existing contacts in iPad’s onboard address book, tap the contact and send the lend offer -- all without needing to type a single word. The friend can accept the offer and enjoy the eBook for up to 14 days, a unique feature offered only by Barnes & Noble. And BN eReader for iPad users will receive LendMe offers from friends within the application, showing them the eBook’s cover and the message from their friend.
Additional features available in the BN eReader App for iPad include:
· Shop the expansive eBookstore: Search, explore and browse through the Barnes & Noble eBookstore of more than one million eBooks, magazines and newspapers titles at www.bn.com/ebooks directly by touching Add Books from the Library. There are more than a half-million free eBooks available, and free samples are available for all eBooks. Learn more from thousands of editorial and customer reviews. Pick a current bestseller, a classic or anything in between and download it wirelessly in seconds.
· Access your personal digital library: All eBooks and most newspapers, and magazines purchased through the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, including those purchased on NOOK, are at your fingertips in your Library. Customers with large digital libraries will appreciate the search option that helps them find the desired book quickly.
· Choose from two views: Library Grid view displays big, beautiful covers that are large and easy to read. Library List view displays a column with digital content titles and eBook covers next to a second larger section that provides rich product details for the selected eBook including the synopsis and more books from that author. Sort by recently read, author or title.
· Get to your content, faster: The most recently read titles appear on top to easily get you back to your last great read. And an in-book search also helps you locate a particular word or phrase.
· Take notes: Bookmark pages, make highlights and write notes. Simply tap a word or drag your finger across a section to highlight it or make a note. In addition to appearing on your iPad, your bookmarks, highlights and notes will also appear on iPad and PC enabled with BN eReader software. iPhone and iPod touch will be added soon, followed by other devices.
· Read across multiple devices: Sync the last page read of the last eBook, magazine or newspaper opened on your iPad with BN eReader software-enabled PCs. Coming next month, both will sync with BN eReader enabled iPhone and iPod touch with more devices to follow.
· Learn more: Tap a word on the touch screen and the in-text dictionary offers you the word’s meaning. Want to learn more? Simply tap one of the options to take you to the Google or Wikipedia page on that word or term using the Web browser.
· Follows the standard: Read eBooks, magazines and newspapers formatted in ePub, quickly becoming the industry standard.
The Barnes & Noble Digital Library Advantage™
Barnes & Noble’s Lifetime Library™ helps ensure that Barnes & Noble customers will always be able to access their digital libraries on a variety of devices as well as on BN.com. In addition, Barnes & Noble’s use of ePub format and Adobe technology allows customers to read all of their digital content across a growing universe of devices.
Get Started with Free eBooks
To celebrate the new addition to the BN eReader family, Barnes & Noble is providing customers who create new BN.com accounts and download the BN eReader software to their iPad or other mobile or computing device with another way to get a jump on their next great read. Barnes & Noble will pre-load three complimentary Barnes & Noble Classic Series eBooks – Dracula, Little Women and Pride & Prejudice – and 10 current bestseller eBook samples in new customers’ digital libraries.
Barnes & Noble is also offering free eBooks from bestselling authors through its current Fun and Free eBook promotion, running over the next four weeks. Simply by visiting a Barnes & Noble store, show a bookseller your NOOK, an iPad or other device with the BN eReader and receive a special weekly access code. Booksellers at the NOOK display in any Barnes & Noble store will gladly help customers download the free BN eReader software to their computing or mobile device so that they can enjoy the promotion. Additional information about the promotion can be found at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Free-ebooks-bestelling-authors/379002210.
The new BN eReader for iPad has been thoroughly tested to ensure an optimal reading experience. BN eReader for iPad is available on the device through www.bn.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp and at www.itunes.com/appstore.
In addition to iPad, Barnes & Noble customers can enjoy their Barnes & Noble digital library across a range of devices including: NOOK by Barnes & Noble, previously announced eBook readers powered by the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, and a variety of other computing and mobile devices including iPhone, iPod touch, BlackBerry® and HTC HD2™ smartphones, HP computers, PC and Mac®. Barnes & Noble continues to enhance its eReader offering and expects to add a BN eReader for Android next month and update its iPhone app in early summer. For more information on free BN eReader software and apps, please visit www.bn.com/ebooks/download-reader.asp.