If you're looking to build your own HTPC (Home Theater PC), but want it to take up as little space as humanly possible, you might want to check out this Mini-ITX board from Aaeon.
The EMB-820T won't be a powerhouse by any means, but it will support AMD's Athlon-based embeded CPUs, which should give you enough to do most tasks. The big news is that it will include TV out and 5.1 surround sound, all on a SBC (single-board computer) unit.
You don't have a lot of room for expandability, for obvious reasons. They do include a Mini PCI and a PCI slot that can be used for a network adapter, or whatever else you should choose. The board is available now, but they have not disclosed the price.
The full specs as listed b Aaeon are as follows:
- Processor -- AMD Geode NX1250, NX1500, or NX1750
- Memory -- dual 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets, for up to 2 GB total DRAM
- resolutions up to 1600 x 1200 pixels
- NTSC and PAL video output
- supports CRT and LVDS LCD display
- 4/5/8-wire resistive touchscreen interface
- 6-channel (5:1) audio output for 3D surround, or alternative stereo output
- mic in
- line in
- Other I/O:
- 1 x UDMA100/133
- 2 x SATA
- floppy interface
- 8 x USB ports (6 internal, 2 external)
- Type II CompactFlash
- Mini PCI
- Dimensions -- 6.7 x 6.7 inches
- Power -- compatible with AT or ATX power supplies
Mini-ITX SBC does TV out, surround sound [via linuxdevices]